Sunday, July 19, 2009

Living Simply




Well the day is beautiful, not a cloud in the sky and I'm escaping into the cyber world instead of mowing, sewing aprons, baking fresh bread , cleaning house and doing laundry. I need some down time, My birthday week was full of excitment. My husband's family came for their yearly visit and his sister and her family decided to join in on the vacation this year. It was relaxing but a bit hectic at the same time, it was a half hour drive to the camp and back everyday right after my husband got out of work..but it was well worth it. But I can't help but feel a bit tired after all the fun. It will be nice for Scott to have a day off tomorrow so we can relax and lally gag around the yard. My father in law installed our new toilet(that we needed desperatly) The old one was so ugly, old and worn from years and years of old butts and poor cleaning habits. It amazes me how exciting it was for both of us to get a new toilet in our first home, It's true what they say about the simple things in life that bring a person pleasure. My wonderful father in law also built my chicken coop for my "chicken ladies" It was bitter sweet to see them off into the big backyard world, I was elated to have my dining room back and to not have my house smell like a big piece of chicken poop but at the same time I miss those little peeps and the humor of watching my pekingese turn into a peeping tom and watch their every move, he took every chance he got to catch a glimpse of them in the brooder, it drove him crazy not to be formally introduced to the ladies and he would scratch and make grunting noises at them as if he was begging that they come out and play. I am a bonafied chicken fanatic, even before I got my chicken ladies I collected porcelain chickens and roosters, I called the Main bird fanciers club the other day and talked to a wonderful woman Linda Blackman about showing my ladies at the fairs and Maine poultry shows, She was just a peach, she offered me her email address and told me if i had any



questions about chickens to not hesitate to email her and she graciously welcomed me to the great world of poultry. I'm ready to go in head first with these chickens, learn everything I need to know and to make the most of it. If you can't tell I'm working hard on my farmgirl status and must say so myself that I'm doing quite well and to add to my farmgirl status My mother in law brought my husband and I her old pressure cooker she used on the farm that my husband grew up on, To him this is gold to be able to can with the cooker his mother used, oh the stories that pressure cooker could tell. It came from her farm to mine and it was an honor to accept such a great piece of my husband's family history. She showed me how to use it and I can't wait to get some crops to can, I made my first farmgirl apron as well and I'm hooked on this lifestyle all i need now is a sewing machine, I guess we know what everyone will be getting for the holidays...

No comments:

Post a Comment